Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Field Study Trip: Turkey 2013

Hello and Welcome to my Blog,

I am Dr. Sherbini, Professor of Political Science at Oakton Community College. Today, I am so excited to be launching my new blog for everyone who is interested in exploring the world through dialogue and travel. 

May 18-28, 2013
And what better way to start than to take you along on my journey to Turkey. Starting May 18, I will be leading 12 wonderful people (8 students and 4 faculty) on a ten day trip throughout Turkey. While in Turkey, we will visit four major cities; Istanbul, Ankara, Izmir, and Bursa, exploring the political, cultural, and historical aspects of this beautiful country. I am very happy and proud to share this trip with you, as it is the culmination of several months of hard work I put in developing and planning this project as part of my PSC 201 Comparative Government course.

Why Turkey you ask?!
 Well, the purpose of this course/trip is two fold: first, to highlight the importance of Turkey as a transcontinental nation, and an emerging political actor in the Middle East and Europe, as well as addressing Turkey’s governmental structure, model of democracy, challenges, societal issues, and historical characteristics; and their impact on politics in the region. Second, to introduce the above mentioned material in form of a field study trip, whereas the major component of the course is a hands on approach to the study of Turkey infused in the course as a trip to Turkey itself. In other words, take the student out of the classroom and into the field itself.  Make it interesting and fun. t

The real purpose..
 I strongly believe that no one can argue that in the 21st century, education is taking center stage. We live in an age of  innovation and information. In a world were we are all connected ( or want to remain so). Hence, there is no better way to cultivate global citizens than through the power of international education, travel, and the exploration of cultures and peoples of this fascinating world. 

So please join me and my group as we begin our exploration of the world; our first destination: Turkey.

Welcome aboard!

Dr. Sherbini

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for creating this. I am looking forward to an adventure!
    Razz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I, and I know it will be an even better adventure with all our group on board.

      Delete
  2. I am also looking forward to this incredible cultural experience!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Patti and I know you will not be disappointed!

      Delete
  3. My mother is going on the trip - will you be posting on the blog as you go so I can follow along?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will be posting every day and will have everyone contribute to the blog if possible, but most certainly post comments.

      Keep following us!

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to be immersed in Turkish culture, experience the history and make new friends!
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on Tom! I can tell you from my experience that this will happen the minute you land in Istanbul.

      Delete